Kohl’s Gotta Dance, a partnership between HSHS St. John's Children's Hospital and Kohl's Cares
®, is a fun and innovative way to help address childhood health and wellness in our community. Hip Hop, Irish Tap and Modern Dance classes are held weekly for 30 weeks and students have the opportunity to perform live and participate in a grand finale performance called Rising Stars.
The community collaboration includes skilled instructors from Springfield Dance
, Studio M Dance Centre
, Sharon F. Stidham and Tracey and Heather's Dance Synergy
. Other partner organizations include Real Life Church
, Clear Lake Church of Christ
, Third Presbyterian Church
, First United Methodist Church
and Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Illinois
. Kohl’s Gotta Dance has provided an opportunity to help children of many different abilities and disabilities learn ways to exercise and have fun!
- "For three years we have had at least one child in the Kohl's Gotta Dance program. This year our youngest daughter is in the program. She was so timid when she started dancing. She wouldn't speak to anyone unless I was right there to guide the conversation. She didn't want to dance but signed up because her sisters were doing it. After being part of this program she can guide conversations, stand up for herself and now enjoys dancing as a form of exercise. I feel so lucky that Gotta Dance is here."
- "Thank you for having the absolute dance teacher. The kids love her and look forward to their lesson every week We are so thankful for all that you bring to the Boys & Girls Club Program at Black Hawk!"
- "My daughter's outlook has changed tremendously. On the dance floor she becomes more confident."
- "The staff from St. John's and community partners are wonderful. These ladies are positive and supportive of the kids and parents. My child has really enjoyed this experience."
- "This is a great opportunity for my son to learn something new and make new friends. We are able to participate because it is a free program."
The Kohl’s Cares hospital program was introduced in 2000 to reinforce Kohl’s commitment to the communities they serve and promote children’s health initiatives. Kohl’s supports more than 160 children’s hospitals nationwide through the Kohl's Cares® cause merchandise program.
Four times a year, Kohl’s introduces new Kohl’s Cares cause merchandise, which includes children’s books and plush toys. Items are $5 each and 100 percent of the net profits are donated to children’s health and education programs nationwide, including local Kohl’s hospital partners.