2017 Junior Samaritan Program
at HSHS St. John's Hospital
Junior Samaritan Application
The Junior Samaritan volunteer program is for high school students who are ages 15 to 17 who are going into their sophomore to senior year of high school and would like to give volunteer service at HSHS St. John's Hospital during the summer of 2017. The program has a minimum requirement of 45 hours of service
during the period of June 12 through August 11, 2017. Our goal is to provide an enriching experience as you contribute your hours of service for the benefit of our patients, families and staff.
We carefully select “Junior” applicants for our limited number of openings based on volunteer opportunities and personal motivation to serve. After successful completion of the summer session you may wish to continue your assignment throughout the school year, and we will be happy to consider that option.
Our teen volunteers must be interested and enthusiastic about what they are doing. It is important to be able to function independently under the general supervision of staff, and be comfortable talking to adults and children. Typically, teen volunteers provide service in many areas including information desk, valet assistant/greeter, Central Supply, waiting rooms, special procedures and Pediatrics.
Most of the volunteer positions do not include direct patient contact. Positions are assigned by the Volunteer Office according to department needs and schedules. The Junior Samaritan program is not an internship or a shadow program, and it is not an opportunity to get clinical experience. Shadowing, observation and internship hours are scheduled through St. John’s People Services Department, 544-6464, ext. 55600.
Requirements for Junior Samaritan volunteer services:
The application process closes March 17, 2017.
- desire to meet new people and make new friends
- interest in helping others and making a difference in the hospital and your community
- interest in broadening your range of skills and knowledge
- attendance at a mandatory orientation
- commitment of 45 service hours over a nine-week period
- submission of personal essay explaining why you want to volunteer (new Junior Samaritans only)
- submission of application, volunteer agreement contract and Minor and Parent/Guardian Consent form for health screening and flu vaccine
- attendance at a scheduled health screening to include a TB test done by blood draw and submission of your immunization records. (Returning Junior Samaritans will already have their immunization records on file at the hospital)
- purchase of a $10 St. John’s Hospital Junior Samaritan polo shirt to wear while performing your volunteer service
- willingness to follow policies and procedures set forth by the Volunteer Services department and St. John's Hospital
At that time, the Volunteer Agreement, Essay and "Minor and Parent/Guardian Consent for Junior Samaritan Health Screening" forms will be available. You must commit to a minimum of 45 hours. If you know you will not be available to commit to a minimum of 45 hours, please do not apply to the program.
Please submit your application via mail, in person or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Returning Junior Samaritans have priority consideration for acceptance into the Junior Samaritan Program. New Junior Samaritan Volunteer Applicants will then be considered on a first come, first served basis.
Applicants will receive notification of their application status by email no later than April 14, 2017. Due to the large quantity of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee placement to all applicants. If you are not accepted into the program due to space limitations, your name may be put on a waiting list in the event a position becomes available during the open application period.
orientation is required of both returning and new Junior Samaritans. You may chose to attend one fo the scheduled orientations on Wednesday, May 31 or Thursday, June 1, 2017 from 3 - 4 p.m. Applicants who are unable to attend one of these orientations will not be able to participate. If you have any questions, you may call the Samaritan Office at 217-814-4205.
HSHS St. John's Hospital
800 E. Carpenter St.
Springfield, IL 62769