Billing and Financial Assistance
The bill you will receive covers many aspects of your hospital care – nursing, laundry, lab testing, medications, etc. You will receive a separate bill for physicians’ services, including services provided by radiologists and Emergency Department physicians and pathologists.
If you have questions after you receive your bill, please contact a customer service representative at (217) 525-5615 or toll free 1-888-477-4221 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
As a courtesy to you, St. John’s will file an insurance claim with your primary carrier (as well as most secondary insurances). It is important you provide accurate and complete insurance information at the time of registration. Regardless of your health insurance carrier’s payment determination, you are responsible for payment.
Billing for Self-Administered drugs During the course of outpatient treatment, you may be given medication Medicare considers self-administered. Medicare defines these as medications the patient could, in another setting, take themselves, and may include tablets, drops, inhalants and some injectable drugs.
In order to remain compliant with Medicare regulations related to billing of these drugs, the hospital is required to submit these self-administered drugs as non-covered items on our billing to Medicare. Once Medicare (and any other insurers you may have), have made payment to us, you will receive a bill from St. John’s Hospital. In addition to any deductible and co-insurance due, this bill will reflect the charges for unpaid self-administered drugs, and payment for these items is expected from the patient. Some Part D Plans may reimburse the patient for the self-administered drugs. You will need to contact your Part D carrier for information on how to submit a claim.
Please contact the Business Office with any questions.
Third-party liability cases
The hospital will not become involved in any third party liability cases. It is the patient’s responsibility and obligation to see that the hospital bill is paid promptly, regardless of any pending litigation resulting from an injury caused by a third party. The hospital will file liability liens against the patient and/or responsible party whenever deemed necessary to protect the interest of the hospital.
Itemized billing statements (an itemized hospital bill) are available upon request by calling (217) 525-5615 or toll free 1-888-477-4221 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
• Online bill pay. We accept all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express) and checks.
• Credit card payment options. We accept all major credit cards by phone or mail.
• Minimum monthly payment plan. Interest-free financing is available through the hospital. For account balances greater than $250, the minimum monthly payment is 10% of the balance. For account balances under $250, the payment is $25 per month.For additional information, please contact a customer service representative calling (217) 525-5615 or toll free 1-888-477-4221 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
• Bank note plan. For patients who need extended time to pay the account balance, external financing at competitive rates is available through a local bank.
• Christian Care Program (Financial Assistance) The Christian Care Program through St. John's Hospital and the Christian Care for Children Program, funded by a gift through the Carol Jo Vecchie Memorial Foundation, offers financial assistance to eligible persons who have no insurance, do not qualify for government programs and cannot afford to pay for their health care. Eligibility is determined by family income and family size.
• Insurance plans we accept For more information
Contact St. John's Business Office at (217) 525-5615 or toll free 1-888-477-4221.