Adult Clinical Trials: LUNG
Randomized Phase II Study Comparing Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Alone to Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation and Consolidative Extra-Cranial Irradiation for Extensive Disease Small Cell Lung Cancer (ED-SCLC)
- Patients with SCLC without brain metastases and with 1-4 metastatic lesions.
- Patients have to have completed 4-6 cycles of platinum-based chemotherapy and registered on study within 8 weeks of completing therapy.
- Prior to chemotherapy, patients must have extensive stage disease with 1-4 extracranial metastatic lesions and no symptoms of CNS metastases. They must have had partial or complete response to chemotherapy in a minimum of one site of disease and no progression in any site.
- All toxicities related to treatment must be resolved to < or equal to grade 1.
- Patient must have limited stage disease at diagnosis and no central nervous metastases.
Arm 1: Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation 2.5 Gy per fraction for a total of 25 Gy
Arm 2: Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation 2.5 Gy per fraction for a total of 25 Gy and consolidative radiation to locoregional and residual metastatic disease 45 Gy at 3 Gy per fraction